December 10, 2009

A Yule survey

Well it's been a few days since I posted, but Bella over at Memoirs of a Crazy Witch tagged me with this Yule survey, so I'm posting early, well early for me. lol 

This one looks like fun.


1. Have you started Yule shopping yet? No, but usually I would have, this year we don't have any extra money, we'll see what happens.

2. Tell me about one of your special holiday traditions? When I was a kid, my parents had this ceramic Nativity set that on every Christmas Eve, we would put the baby Jesus in the manger and sing Christmas carols. Now, since this year Yule is new to me, I will be looking for new traditions to start.

3. When do you put up your tree? Well, I seem to recollect as a kid we did it soon after Thanksgiving, but my wife's family has done it for years on or the weekend of her birthday (Dec 5), so that's when we do it now.

4. Are you a Black Friday Shopper? I've only been out in the early morning shopping on Black Friday once, and for the life of me I can't remember exactly why, but I do know it had little or nothing to do with any sale. I do remember being morbidly entertained at all the people scurrying about making purchases on things that would be on "sale" again in the weeks leading up to Christmas. Funny how no one ever thinks of that. Like that "sale" price is the rock bottom price they will sell that item at before Christmas finally arrives.


5. Do you travel at Yule or stay at home? I can't remember the last time I traveled at ANY holiday.


6. What is your funniest Yule memory? I would have to say the night I found out there was no Santa Claus. Not funny? Oh, well, to me it was. I was asleep like a good little boy on Christmas Eve, about 5 years old, when I woke up just in time to hear my father ask my mother "Are you gonna get the presents?" Talk about fortuitous timing. To this day I remember it as the luckiest moment of my life, when I verified what I had suspected for quite some time in my short life.

7. What is your favorite Yule movie of all times? I'd have to go with "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer" followed by "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". Oh, and don't forget "Frosty the Snowman".

8. Do you do any Yule baking and what's your favorite treat? Baking? Um, well, I did make a pie once, which did turn out to be edible. I love pie, especially pumpkin. But the one I really love is Edwards brand Hershey chocolate creme pie, oh the chocolatey goodness of that baby.....


9. Fake or real tree? Fake, although growing up we did have a real tree or two. I wouldn't dream of having a real one now, because the tree usually doesn't make it to January.

10. What day does the actual panic set in to get it all done? Panic? I don't panic, things just don't happen fast enough, lol. Actually, I usually have everything figured out at least a day or two before, so there isn't a "panic".

11. Are you still wrapping presents on Yule Eve? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

12. What is your favorite family fun time at Yule? When everyone is opening presents and you can't see the floor for the wrapping paper, and you can't hear yourself think for the squeals of delight.............


13. What Yule craft do you like best? I used to love stringing popcorn, but with this crew, it's a disaster of monumental proportions, so I haven't suggested it this year, yet.......

 
14. Yule music? Yes or No, and if yes, what is your favorite song? There's this CD I have, called the Porter Music Box Sound of Christmas, it's beautiful, lots of everyone's favorite carols, played on a large music box that sounds more like bells, I play it incessantly this time of year, reminds me of what I heard as a kid.

15. Do you plan to finish all your shopping? Why yes I do, and thanks for asking, if I ever get it started.

Well, there you have it. Since Yule is a new holiday for me this year, and as I am still currently in the closet, it will probably be next year before any traditions emerge, but for now, I must find the 5 other blogs I must tag. I apologize in advance if you have already been tagged.


And heeeere they are:

Good Mourning, Glory
Deep Inside My Broom Closet
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Lost In Astral Space
rambling of a newbie pagan

3 comments:

She Who Works Her Will said...

1. Have you started Yule shopping yet? Yes, but I'm no where near done! I'm also officiating as High Priestess for our Coven's Yule ritual! I'm a little....stressed1!!

2. Tell me about one of your special holiday traditions? We all go to pick out the Christmas tree as a family. It has to be the perfect tree that we all agree on! We put it up about 2 weeks before Christmas/Yule while listening to Christmas carols.

3. When do you put up your tree? See question 2 :)

4. Are you a Black Friday Shopper? No, never! We have more Malls in a 10 mile radius than I can count. It makes the traffic, the crowds and aggravation if worse! We will go to smaller local Metaphysical and favorite specialty shops that are less expensive and where we can find unique gifts for our friends and loved ones.

5. Do you travel at Yule or stay at home? We don't have a lot of immediate family, so we cozy up to the fireplace and stay at home!

6. What is your funniest Yule memory? One of my favorite memories is drinking too much champagne with my sister, Leslie and dancing in the middle of the kitchen while cooking a Christmas goose. It must have been hysterical because my husband took lots of pictures! No, I'm not posting them on my blog!

7. I don't think I really have a favorite Yule movie, but I am a fan of Dr. Seuss, so I would have to say, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". I just love that little dog!

8. Do you do any Yule baking and what's your favorite treat? I really don't do lots of baking for Yule, but I plan on baking some "Rune" cookies for this year's Yule ritual celebration.

9. Fake or real tree? Real, however I do confess to a crisis of conscience of late. As much as I love the scent and look of a real tree, I'm beginning to really have problems knowing tnat I'm cutting down a living tree! Same thing happened with fresh turkeys for Thanksgiving! I couldn't bring myself to hire the "hit" anymore!

10. What day does the actual panic set in to get it all done? Two days ago :)

11. Are you still wrapping presents on Yule eve? No, more like Christmas Eve, but yes, we do our wrapping with Christmas carols playing the evening before.

12. What is your favorite family fun time at Yule? Watching the expression on my kids faces as they open their gifts!

13. What Yule craft do you like best? I don't really have a Yule craft...yet!

14. Yule music? Yes, Josh Groban's "Oh Holy Night". The boy can make finger nails on a blackboard sound good!

15. Do you plan to finish all your shopping? Yes, hopefully before Yule!!!

Diane said...

#12 - i especially enjoy that too!!

thanks for tagging me, i'll get on it just as soon as i'm rested up a bit. my daughter had a 24 hour video monitored eeg yesterday/last night and i'm just now getting home. gotta recover a little before i can think! :) no rest for the wicked, you know. :)

J said...

Hiya, Ta also for tagging me. I'm trying to write my reply now. Currently balanced between tabletop, sofa and cat with all the floorboards up. Might take a while.....